What is a Postpartum Doula?
Simply stated, a Postpartum Doula is a professional that provides emotional, physical, and evidence-based informational support to new families during the 4th trimester; paying special attention to the mother while also providing exceptional care for the baby.
I like to think my role as a Postpartum Doula is a luxury support service, assisting families through the first few days, weeks, or months of life after baby. This looks very different for every family but always includes 3 main goals:
Primary focus on mother's physical and emotional recovery from birth throughout the postpartum period.
Secondary focus on the baby's adjustment to life outside of the womb and assisting new parents with learning how to care and respond to their baby's needs.
Tertiary focus on lessening the stress of obstacles that may often times get in the way of goal 1 and 2 (ie; baby laundry and other baby-related housekeeping).
Do I need to hire a Postpartum Doula?
The short answer is, YES! The real question is, what are you waiting for?
So many parents look back and say they wish that babies came with a how-to handbook. Well guess, what? As your Postpartum Doula I can be that resource, providing you with physical and emotional support throughout your postpartum adjustment, but also hands-on practical support pertaining to newborn care. My job isn't done until you feel well-rested, empowered, and equipped enough to step into your new parental role with confidence.
What services do you offer as a Postpartum Doula?
Whether your hire me for the first days, weeks, or months, my postpartum support can include, but isn't limited to:
Maternal Postpartum Support:
- Physical postpartum recovery support
- Including breastfeeding support through encouragement and reassurance
- Emotional support and companionship (including on-call email, phone, and text support)
- Help facilitating baby's first visitors to lessen mommy's anxiety
Infant Care Postpartum Support:
- Direct assistance with newborn care
- Including newborn care parental education and modeling (feeding, sleeping, soothing, bathing, etc.)
- Assistance establishing a feeding/sleeping schedule and a daily routine
- Promoting age-appropriate sleep habits and a healthy sleep environment
- Education of newborn safety practices
- Providing evidence-based answers regarding appropriate newborn behaviors and milestones
Additional Postpartum Support:
- Light baby-related housekeeping and organization
(ie; cleaning/sterilizing/prepping bottles or breast pump parts and baby laundry)
- Encouragement of physical and emotional partner support and bonding/attachment
Ready to book your FREE consultation?
Let's spend 30 min together getting to know one another.
During this consultation I'll answer any and all questions that you have and we'll discuss your pregnancy, birth plan/story, and your expectations and desires for your family's postpartum experience.